Thursday 3 July 2014

Short film investigation: My Mom's Motorcycle.

I started annotating and looking at short films before we were set the task to complete four in depth researches into some short films. This short film 'My Mom's motorcycle; My rode reel' is by Douglas Gautraud. I admire the angles and shots, and I love the running commentary (audio) on top of the film. It was very humorous and each shot was very snappy and the transitions were just right, none of them lagged. Also the story had a real meaning behind it about how generations of his family achieved something worthy of appraisal and now, even though there are opportunities out there, not a lot of people take risks and aim high for something they love.






Powered by emaze

I like how the music and shots and the mise en sene is like a driving force pushing and driving the short film. There is a build up of historic appreciation as he loves/adores his grandfathers showing what they have accomplished in their lives. Then its as if a new chapter has started and it isn't as amazing and enthralling as his grandfathers stories. I like how this development relates to the development of the world we live in now.

A lot of the shots look hand held. Steady, but hand held as you can see a slight sway in his static shots. Hand helds shots are ideal in some situations and I believe this works particularly well as it looks like its from his point of view and some of the angles could have only been achieved hand held.

Mine and Alex's short film isn't like this. However, I would love for us to incorporate some of the angles and ideas used in this film.

I enjoyed the running commentary and how that even though he was in the scene he wasn't talking and it was just his voice speaking all the way though. I like his idea however I doubt it would go particularly well with mine and Alex's short film. There isn't much dialogue in our short film (well... from what we have gathered so far). There may be a child's laughter or cry in some of the flash back scenes and heavy breathing as the main character becomes more upset ...etc. We also had the idea of starting with the main character playing some old fashion music which would be playing throughout the film. This could then be altered/distorted when necessary to create an atmosphere. E.g. suspense, fear, happiness... and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment